Do you experience numbness, pain, weakness or tingling in your hand? If the answer is yes you probably have carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). The University of Maryland Medical Center, says that CTS is usually caused by a nerve in the wrist that is strained. Usually, the tissues that are around the median nerve of the hand swell and press on the nerve, which causes numbness, pain, weakness or tingling. If they are not treated, the symptoms can continue and they can get worse after few weeks or years. The nerve insulation can even cause a permanent damage.
It is very important to treat CTS, when the symptoms appear and this way you will avoid irreversible damage and additional discomfort. It is very likely that your doctor will recommend you to wear a splint and sometimes you can get recommendation for receiving corticosteroid injections. However, nowadays there are there are different home remedies that you can try for relieving pain and discomfort.
1. Ice - You can apply an ice packed in a thin towel and apply it to your wrists. This can reduce the pain and soothe inflammation. You should leave it in the wrists for 10 minutes and repeat on each hour until the pain disappears.
2. Heat - In some cases people respond better to heat than to ice. For this purpose soak your wrists and hands in hot or warm water for approximately 12- 15 minutes before you go to bed. Using this method you probably won't wake up with pain in the middle of the night.
3. Walnuts - They are tasty and they contain a lot of omega-3 fatty acids, which reduce inflammation. If you have some CTS symptoms, you can eat a handful of walnuts every day. You can add them in yoghurt or in salads. When baking fish filets or chicken you can use crushed walnuts as a substitute for breadcrumbs.
4. Potatoes - Vitamin B6 is included in more than 100 enzyme reactions and some of them are related to relieving CTS symptoms. You can find vitamin B6 in potatoes and in many fruits, fish and poultry.
5. Turmeric - This is the favorite spice of all people who practice Ayurvedic medicine. It is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent and it is able to reduce inflammation and pain. For best results you can take curcumin supplements.
6. Pineapple - This delicious tropical fruit contains one powerful enzyme which is known as bromelain. Bromelain can break down the inflammatory proteins. That is why it can lower the pain that is caused by CTS and it can heal this syndrome efficiently.
7. Whole grains - You can find magnesium in green vegetables, legumes and whole grains. They have a very important nerve function and they can relax the muscles. You can eat lots of foods that contain magnesium or take magnesium supplement.
8. Flaxseed oil - Just like olive oil and fish oil, flaxseed oil contains a lot of omega 3 fatty acids which can reduce inflammation. You should drink one tablespoon of flaxseed oil mixed in with your morning drink or you can add it in salads.
This problem can be disruptive and irritating to your work and personal life. That is why you should start eating walnuts, pineapple, flaxseed oil and turmeric in your everyday diet.
Actually, all these ingredients can be blended up in one amazing and delicious smoothie!
Source: Choose Healthy Life